Friday, December 9, 2011

Extremely Loud Update

I swear I had no idea. I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close during the past week because my daughter Marian recommended it. I posted about the book yesterday evening and only added this note just before hitting the Publish button, when I did a last-minute internet search:

Extremely Loud will be released as a major motion picture,  starring Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock, on January 20, 2012. Perhaps the movie version will escape the book’s pervasive nihilism. 

It turns out that the Hanks-Bullock starrer, as Variety would say, is Hollywood’s it movie of the moment.

According to the New York Times today, producer Scott Rudin is trying to time the release of the film to maximize its chances of winning the Oscar for Best Picture. As you can see, the film co-stars Max von Sydow, which makes me totally want to rip up my somewhat negative review of the book, which I can’t do of course because it’s a blog post—out there in space.

It turns further out that either of the two trailers for the film is a powerful, harrowing experience. No sign of Jonathan Safran Foer’s nihilism here, though Hollywood usually doesn’t make money selling nihilism.

Guess I’ll be following this story . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.