Marian and I said that we would let Jesus decide, and so He has. In my last post, I wrote that I was leaning toward leaving today, Sunday, and doing the first stage of the Camino in two chunks, staying at an auberge on the mountain tonight.
But the auberge has only one place left, and when Marian asked if I wanted to leave today, taking that last place, with her following tomorrow and meeting me tomorrow night in Roncesvalles, I said no. I want to do this pilgrimage with you, I told her. She invited me. I'm following her.
So there you have it. Our British host at the B&B Errecaldia told us of a pilgrim refuge in St. Jean Pied de Port that is run by a Catholic organization. That appeals to us, as does the location of the refuge: directly across the street from the best bakery in town. French Mass is at 11am, the bakery closes at 1pm, the refuge opens at 2pm.
You now have our updated itinerary through 2pm. Next fixed point is first light tomorrow, when we head up the trail.