Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Lord: Chapter 84, “Victor, Judge, Perfecter”

Dear friend,

As you know, I am writing a memoir of my journey from the Protestant communions of my boyhood, through a long middle period of search, to the Catholic Church today. Why did I leave Christianity in my teens? Why did I follow what I followed then? Why did I “come home” to Rome? My grandmother would have rolled over in her grave to hear about it, or so my father said.

The hard part of writing a memoir is—duh—telling the truth. Before telling it, I have to know it. In my case, this is harder than it might appear. Yes, I am aware that this and that “happened,” but why? What facts have dropped between the cracks in my memory? What caused me to (mis)conceive reality as it was occurring around me?

In my case, at times, power stood in the way of truth. And so today’s chapter from Guardini, about the final visions of Christ in the Book of Revelation, touches me deeply.

Christ is seen sitting on a white horse. He is “called Faithful and True, and with justice he judges and wages war. And his eyes are as a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems; he has a name written which no man knows except himself. And he is clothed in a garment sprinkled with blood, and his name is called The Word of God.”

Guardini writes: “Truth is the foundation of existence and the bread of the spirit, yet in the realm of human history it is separated from power. Truth counts, but power forces.”

From my own experience, I want to shout, “Amen!” And beg for Truth in my own life and heart. “How will this come about?” RG asks. “Through the word of Christ.”

These are visions of “final things,” and so we might think that they are remote from our lives. But from where I sit today, praying to be truthful, hoping to receive the light of Truth, I know nothing more immediate.

This is the power of Revelation for me.

Signing off for now,
WB

This series of posts on Romano Guardini’s The Lord continues here with chapter 85.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.