Sunday, December 30, 2012

Abraham, My Own Father

Let’s face it. If there’s a God, He probably doesn’t wear different hats in different places of worship. Allowing for differences of local language, he probably doesn’t have aliases either or wear multiple ID tags. He’s God, OK? He created the world.

So the Jewish God is the Christian God is the Muslim God. Monotheism = One God = Just One.

I think so many differences between religionists would be overcome if we could just agree on this obvious fact. But such agreement has been hard to come by.

That’s why there are heresies. I’m no expert on the subject, but I found the term Marcionism at the end of paragraph 123 of the Catechism (CCC), and I understand what it’s doing there. It comes in the middle of the section titled “The Canon of Scripture” and at the end of a subsection on the Old Testament.

Marcion and his second-century followers believed that Jesus was the savior and Paul his chief apostle—and that the Hebrew Bible was no longer valid. Quoting Wiki, my go-to theological source, “Marcionists believed that the wrathful Hebrew God was a separate and lower entity than the all-forgiving God of the New Testament.”

Catholics believe differently, as attested by paragraph 121: 

The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value, for the old Covenant has never been revoked (my emphasis).

I love that last statement. God made an agreement with Abraham; there is only one God and He keeps his agreements; and the Catholic Church teaches me that Abraham is my forefather in faith. So what God promised him, he promises me.

How beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.