Monday, December 31, 2012

October: “Religious Books or Just Good Science Fiction?”

A friend had been telling me to read Ender’s Game for twenty-five years. Did he have an intuition that this sci-fi classic and its sequel, Speaker for the Dead, would speak to me, who isn’t? Dead, that is?

Orson Scott Card’s two books truly did speak to me. I wrote about Ender’s Game in October, then wrote again. Then I read Speaker in December and wrote about that.

All of which makes my resolution quite simple:

To read the other two books in the Ender cycle, Xenocide and Children of the Mind. Then finish off with the first “spin-off” from this tetralogy, Ender’s Shadow. 

I’m not really a sci-fi guy. I can count on one or two hands all the sci-fi I ever read. But there are connections here between Card’s books and the memoir I am writing. And I want to understand them better. 

1 comment:

  1. Webster,

    I would recommend "A War of Gifts" and "Ender in Exile" before moving to "Ender's Shadow". The Shadow series moves away from Ender and follows Bean during the same timeframe. A very good series in its own right but different. Glad you are enjoying the books.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.