Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Song of the Day: Especially if You Have Scottish Blood

One of my recent Pandora discoveries is Scottish singer Amy MacDonald. Just love the voice: folksy but gutsy, much deeper and richer than you expect from a guitar-strummer.

And Scottish.

OK, and not hard to look at either, as Dad would have said.

Anyway, I heard this song, “Pride,” on Pandora, and I thought, Love song. Only after several listenings did I realize that this was both true and false. It’s a love song but not about a guy.

Not about a gal either. It’s a love song for—

Scotland! The Blue and White, in verse 3. 

My mother’s Ewing side of the family is Scottish, and there are Catholics hanging in the branches of our family tree over there, though the Bull side pretends not.

I’ve never been to Scotland, but I’ll go now. If only to see and hear Amy.

And of course there’s already a Wiki page about the song.

1 comment:

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.