Friday, January 4, 2013

Song of the Day: Classic Dire Straits

I heard “Sultans of Swing” when it first came out in the late 1970s, but tuned out for another ten years or so.

Since then, I’ve been a big Mark Knopfler fan, as my recent thumbs-up shows in his face-up with (thumbs-down) Dylan. (Fans of the Bobster were not happy with me for that post, which said the septuagenarian former hipster danced as though on a walker.)

Here’s a classic mid-1980s cut. It’s long, but you can bring it up on YouTube and use it as background music.


2 comments:

  1. I can't say that I get much from Dire Straits. I have to struggle too hard to find truth, beauty, and goodness in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to his riffs. Then read his lyrics: closely observed slices of life. E.g. "True Love Will Never Fade," about a tattoo artist. "Beyond My Wildest Dreams" about a long-haul trucker and his woman. Etc. . . .

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.