Saturday, November 29, 2014

Personal Reflections on The Pilgrim's Progress from This World to That Which is to Come

The Pilgrim’s Progress (1678) is the eccentric remnant of a perfervidly religious age, interesting only as a historical oddity.

Either that, or it is a timeless allegory which still has value to the Christian who sees his life as a pilgrimage.

That would be me.

I am going to launch into a series of occasional posts about John Bunyan’s challenging, outdated, comical classic, just to see what I can learn from it. My posts will not be scholarly or academic but personal.

With each post, I will try to remember to ask myself, What does any of this have to do with me? Or you?

The illustration (H/T Wikipedia) is the title page of the first edition. Written while Bunyan was in jail for refusing to follow the Church of England, The Pilgrim’s Progress is said to be the best-selling Christian devotional book ever published in English.

To read the next post on The Pilgrim’s Progress, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.