Saturday, December 27, 2014

A Disturbing Poem About Abortion

I have never had a political bone in my body. So while I know where I stand on “the social issues” (I am a Catholic) I generally don’t “go there” on this blog.

However, I read a poem about abortion this morning that is so disturbing I thought I would share it. You can judge for yourself in this feed from The Writer’s Almanac, which I read every day.

If I knew it was so easy to write a poem these days, without rhyme or meter, I might try myself. But meanwhile, I look on aghast at word choices that are as cold as the author is (or pretends he is?).

It was an accident . . .
She wants to keep it . . .
Dave has his doubts . . . 
Confusion . . . Pain . . . Couples Counseling . . . 
X-raying their relationship . . . 
Tongueless little sachet of cells . . . 

And of course the punch line:

Not My Problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.