Monday, April 24, 2017

Re-opening the Stage Door

It is nearly two years since my last post, titled “To Blog No More Forever.” I haven’t missed blogging until recently, nor have others missed my blogging, I suspect.

A lot has changed in two years. I dropped out of a master’s program because it led me to where I am happy today: the L’Arche Boston North community in Haverhill, Massachusetts. I began volunteering there in September 2015, as field study for the master’s. Then, when the hook was set, within six months, I dropped out of the master’s and dropped into L’Arche.

Today, I work there as an assistant 28-30 hours per week, and I write a few things for the community web site.

On May 9, I’m taking an 8,000-mile, 26-day road trip with two fellow assistants and three core members (the L’Arche term for adults with developmental disabilities residing in community). We will visit and stay in 12 other L’Arche communities, reach the West Coast (Gw), and return via Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and other sights.

The photo shows the six of us who will be traveling together, L-R: Doris, Jane, Todd, Webster, John, and Woody.

But blogging again? Really? I don’t know.

A week ago, something prompted me to reopen the door to this space, which has been locked behind a PRIVATE sign since June 2015. I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with blogging. It appeals to the exhibitionistic, self-aggrandizing side of me; but it also provides a place to think through some of my experiences in a Catholic context and subject them to the scrutiny of others.

When blogging, I find that what begins as a murmur of the heart often ends up a mask. It is hard to say what we initially feel, and honestly.

But anyway, we’ll see how it goes. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.