Saturday, November 1, 2014

Going Public (Again)

I am dipping my toe back into blogging. Ten months ago, I stopped writing “Witness” and took it off the air. I stated my reasons at that time.

For two or three months now, I’ve had the yen to resume. Now I have a reason or two.

First reason: The memoir I have been working on for two years seems to be taking satisfactory shape in a third and, I hope, final draft. Only now is its purpose coming clear: to tell in book-length form what I told in post-length chunks in my first blog, “Why I Am Catholic.” That blog’s name has long since been taken over by Frank Weathers, who moved it to Patheos. “Witness,” begun in February 2011, was a sort of taking-back of my story.  

Second reason: As readers of this blog may know, I walked the Camino de Santiago with my daughter two years ago. (Posts from that pilgrimage are still available in chronological order by clicking in the upper left corner of this page.) After returning to my home parish and speaking there about the Camino, I was asked, “So what are you going to do next? The Long Trail?”

I knew in my heart that if I were going to undertake another long walk it would be to a religious (i.e. Catholic Christian) destination, not to the top of Mt. Katahdin, however holy that site may have been to native Americans. And I thought I was pretty sure what that destination would be.

About six weeks ago, I told my wife about my next planned pilgrimage and she agreed with it wholeheartedly. Green light. Four weeks ago, I told my pastor. He liked the idea but warned me to plan carefully and to travel “safe.” Another green light, plus flashing yellow.

Now I’m telling you. My pastor warned me to be safe because my next pilgrimage will not be along an established trail like the Camino, one supported by an infrastructure of pilgrim refuges, prix fixe meals, and over-priced cafes con leche. My plan is to walk from my home north of Boston to St. Joseph’s Oratory in Montreal (pictured above) and to begin the 350-mile trek on May 1, 2015, the feast of St. Joseph the Worker.

So these are my two reasons for restarting my blog: (1) to rebuild a platform from which to launch my conversion memoir when it is ready for prime time, and (2) to have a forum for reporting on my pilgrimage.

St. Joseph, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting comments, please log in as Anonymous and sign your comment manually.